Does your child tend to suffer from eye allergies during the spring, summer, or fall? Eye allergies are extremely common in children, especially during spring and summer, when pollen and other types of allergens are most prevalent. Here are some tips on what you can do to help prevent and treat your child’s eye allergies: Pediatric Ophthalmologist Edina MN
How To Prevent Eye Allergies
The best way to prevent your child from experiencing eye allergies is to minimize your child’s exposure to allergens to avoid allergies in the eyes. Some tips for reducing allergy trigger exposure are as follows:
- During pollen season, closing windows and have your child spend less time outside.
- Regularly vacuuming and using an air purifier.
- Encouraging your child to protect their eyes by using hats and sunglasses throughout allergy season.
- Making sure your child’s hands are getting washed properly and telling them to not touch their eyes.
- Telling your child to use glasses instead of contacts (for older children).
- Making sure your child’s hair gets washed every night (in order to remove allergens from their hair).
Reach out to your local eye doctor that specializes in children’s eye care to learn more about what can be done to help prevent eye allergies, or how to treat eye allergy symptoms. Book an appointment with us to learn more about what you can do if you or your child has symptoms. We want to help you and your child today!
How To Treat Eye Allergies
Hay fever and eye allergy symptoms can be treated via having your child take antihistamines such as Claritin (loratadine) and Zyrtec (cetirizine) on a daily basis. However, there are some more things you can do if your child is still experiencing symptoms despite taking allergy medication to manage those symptoms. Reach out to your trusted eye doctor, Insight Vision Care. We are your local Pediatric Ophthalmologist Edina MN who can help people of all ages with their vision health. We would love to give you advice on how to treat eye allergies. Contact us today to learn more!
Other methods for preventing eye allergies and treating flare-up symptoms include:
- Having your child take a short-acting allergy medicine like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) once a day for children ages 3 and up, or antihistamine eye drops like Zaditor (ketotifen) once a day for children ages 3 and up. Pediatric Ophthalmologist Edina MN
- Using a cool washcloth to wipe your child’s face and flushing their eyes out (leave the washcloth over their eyes if your child prefers it).
To learn more about the types of eye care we provide here at Insight Vision Care, feel free to contact your local eye doctors in Edina MN, today. We are your trusted Pediatric Ophthalmologist Edina MN who can help you and your children with your eye health. We will assess your child and see how we can help their allergy symptoms. During our exams, we listen to our patients and see what the issue may be and then figure out what we can do to help. Eye health is important for everyone, especially children since they are still growing. Make an appointment with your trusted doctors at Insight Vision Care today so we can help you soon! We can help answer any questions you have or address any concerns you have about your eye health or your child’s eye health. We want to make sure you feel as if you are taken care of well. Contact us today to get an appointment on the calendar to learn more about us and our excellent eye doctor services. We are your Pediatric Ophthalmologist Edina MN so if you live in Edina MN, contact us today! We look forward to helping you or your child today!
For More Information on Our Services:
Ophthalmology | Optometry | Surgeries | Pediatric Eye Muscle Surgery | Pediatric Tear Duct Surgery | Chalazion Drainage | Adult Eye Muscle Surgery | Eye Conditions | Amblyopia | Strabismus | Esotropia | Exotropia | Diplopia Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction | Chalazion/Stye | Refractive Errors | Eyewear | Order Contacts | Online Scheduling | Patient Intake Form | Patient Portal | Insurances Accepted